What is Distance Learning?
Distance learning is a form of education whereby lectures and classes are conducted via the Internet without the need for a student being physically present. CIIS supports distance learning and MOOCs (massive open online courses) as they are available in a wide variety of topics, offer flexibility and are low cost (or free) to the students.
Free Distance Learning Courses/MOOCs Available:
https://www.coursera.org/ - Best for general interest topics
https://www.udacity.com/ - Best for very self-directed learners with a focus in skills based programming and computer classes
- https://www.edx.org/ - Offers courses from elite schools with a focus in science classes
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/onlinecourses/ - Adult learning online courses
- https://www.open.edu.au/open-training-institute - The Open Training Institute offers nationally accredited online dipliomas and certificates
- https://www.open2study.com/ - General education courses
- http://ctl.yale.edu/using-technology/online-learning - Online learning resources from Yale University
- http://www.pce.uw.edu/online/free-courses/ - Online learning resources from University of Washington
- http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm - Online learning resources from MIT
- http://www.open.edu/openlearn/about-openlearn/try - Largest selection of free learning courses in the U.K.
- http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/online-courses - Online learning resources from Cambridge University
- http://online-learning.harvard.edu/ - Online learning resources from Harvard University
- https://www.edx.org/course/behavioral-economics-action-university-torontox-be101x#! - Learn how to use behavioral economics to design experiments and develop tools to help people make better decisions.
- http://online.wharton.upenn.edu/ - Online learning resources from Wharton, University of Pennsylvania