Admission into Diploma in Law (Common Law), Diploma in Law (Common And Islamic Law) and Certificate in Legal Studies (CILS)
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the Diploma in Law (Common Law), Diploma in Law (Common and Islamic Law) and Certificate in Legal Studies (CILS) Programmes of the Department of Law, College of Humanities, Management & Social Sciences, Kwara State University, Malete, Nigeria. The applications are open for Full-Time and Part-time programmes. In putting in their applications, Applicants should comply with the following instructions:
I. MODE OF APPLICATION:
Application Fee: N10, 000 (Full Time: Diplomas) and N12,500 (Part Time: i.e. CILS)
• Visit our website at: www.kwasu.edu.ng/ipsportal and click on “Apply Now for the Diploma in Law (Common Law), Diploma in Law (Common and Islamic Law) and Certificate in Legal Studies”
• For the Diploma in Law (Common Law), Diploma in Law (Common and Islamic Law): click on “Common and Islamic Law” under Institute/Centre, then Select Program from the List
• For the Certificate in Legal Studies click on “LEGAL STUDIES” under Institute/Centre, then Select Program from the List
• Click on “Continue” to proceed with payment
• Complete the registration form and make payment with your ATM Card
II. WHO SHOULD APPLY?
1. Young School Leavers (Holders of SSCE)
2. Staff of the Judiciary
3. Bank/Insurance Officers and Staff of Other Financial Institutions
4. Civil Servants, Estate Managers and Tax Officers
5. Any Person in need of the Basic Working Knowledge of Law and Its Application
6. Military/Paramilitary Staff such as Staff of Police, Prisons Service, Immigration, Customs, Civil Defence, etc
7. Candidates looking forward to a Future Career in the Legal/Paralegal Professions
8. Holders of Degrees; OND; HND; NCE in non-Law related fields
9. Journalists; NGO workers; Administrators; Businessmen/women; Non-Lawyer Human Rights and Social Justice Activists; etc.
10. Politicians; Political Scientists and Public Office Holders with the need for Law Knowledge
III. BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME
1. Conferment of: Diploma in Law (Common Law), Diploma in Law (Common and Islamic Law) and Certificate in Legal Studies by the Kwara State University.
2. CILS is presentable and acceptable anywhere in the world as evidence of Proficiency Training in Legal Studies.
3. Diploma Certificates (with at least Upper Credit) is acceptable for direct entry admission into KWASU Law Degree (LLB) Programmes and paralegal studies such as Bachelor of Legal Administration (BLA).
4. To be well equipped with Basic Working Knowledge of Law and Practice
IV. QUALIFICATION FOR THE PROGRAMME
1. Diploma in Law (Common Law)
At Least Five Credits in English Language, Literature in English and Mathematics (Pass may be taken for Maths) and Two other Subjects amongst Government; History; IRS/CRS; Yoruba/Hausa/Igbo/Arabic/French; Civic Education; Geography; Commerce; Economics; Accounting; Agriculture; Biology; Computer Science obtained in not more than two sittings in WAEC; NECO; or NABTEB examinations or a combination of any two of them
2. Diploma in Law (Common and Islamic Law)
At Least Five Credits in English Language, IRS/Arabic and Mathematics (Pass may be taken for Maths) and Two other Subjects amongst Government; History; Yoruba/Hausa/Igbo/French; Civic Education; Geography; Commerce; Economics; Accounting; Agriculture; Biology; Computer Science obtained in not more than two sittings in WAEC; NECO; ISSC or NABTEB examinations or a combination of any two of them.
3. Certificate in Legal Studies (CILS)
i. As in 1 or 2 above
ii. Previous Degrees; HND, ND; Diplomas; or NCE in any other Field are required
iii. Working Experience/Working Engagement would be added advantage
V. PROGRAMME OBJECTIVES
i. The Programme aims to provide an opportunity for students to learn about substantive Nigerian law and practice, and to gain experience of skill-based tasks necessary for them to make a significant contribution to the workplace organizations they serve or will serve and the wider community.
ii. The specific objectives of the Programme are:
a) To equip students with a general foundation of knowledge in selected areas of legal studies and practice procedures
b) To equip students with the basic skills to provide support to legal practitioners in various types of professional legal practice.
d) Diploma Certificate is acceptable for admission into KWASU LLBs and BLA Degree Programmes
VI. CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATION AND SCREENING
The application closes on Tuesday 27th September, 2016 while screening for applicants starts on the day of resumption, which is Tuesday, 4th October, 2016.
Required Documents for Screening
• Required Documents: Applicants shall come along with originals and a set of photocopies of their credentials; Original and photocopies of the Payment-Teller; two copies of passport-size Photograph and evidence of birth-date.
VII. DURATION, PERIODS AND VENUE OF THE PROGRAMME
A. FULLTIME (Diploma Programmes): The programme will run for 72 Weeks (two academic sessions) while lectures hold from Mondays to Saturdays (8:00AM – 4:00PM) on Malete Campus
B. PART TIME (CILS): The Duration of the Programme is 36 Weeks (One Academic Session) while lectures hold on Fridays (5PM-8PM) and Saturdays (9:00AM – 6:00PM) at KWASU Contact Office Sango, Ilorin.
VIII. RESUMPTION DATE:
List of admitted candidates shall be placed on the KWASU website while Resumption, Screening and Registration commence on Tuesday 4th October, 2016.
1. Diploma Programs
i. FULL TIME: N75, 000.00 (Seventy-Five Thousand Naira) per session
2. Certificate in Legal Studies (CILS)
i. PART-TIME: N150, 000.00 (One Hundred and Fifty Thousand) per program
NOTE: Upon receipt of official notice of admission, students can pay the tuition fee (No instalment payment). Fee paid is neither refundable nor transferable under any circumstances.
IX. FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES:
For further enquiries on the programme, you may please contact any of the following under-listed persons:
4. Log onto: www.kwasu.edu.ng